Title links go to reviews.
Goodreads 2016 Reading Challenge
I’m rockin’ this!!! I read 25 books in April toward my year-end goal of 180 books. I’m currently at 57% of my yearly goal, or a total of 102 books — 43 books ahead of schedule! This month’s total includes 10 ARC or review copies, 3 new-to-me books, 1 lecture series, and 11 re-reads. (The figures don’t add up because one re-read was also a review copy.) You can see my reading list here.
Cruisin’ Thru the Cozies – read in March
Title links take you to my review.
- The Murder of Mary Russell (Laurie R. King)
- The Corpse with the Garnet Face (Cathy Ace)
- An Unhappy Medium (Dawn Eastman)
- Death Mask (Ellis Peters)
- Crime and Poetry (Amanda Flower) (review to come)
- A Killer Ball at Honeychurch Hall (Hannah Dennison) (review to come)
The Backlist Reader (TBR) Challenge – read in March
These are older titles (before 2016) that I’ve wanted to read. Title links take you to my review.
- Heart of Evil (Heather Graham) (review to come)
- Great World Religions: Judaism (Isaiah M. Gafni) (lecture series) (review to come)
- Read more of the books I really want to read. This went pretty well this month. I didn’t read a lot of backlist-but-new-to-me books, but I reread a favorite series (Emily March’s Eternity Springs books) and another old favorite, plus a bunch of new titles that I wanted to read — some were ARCs and some I bought or borrowed from the library.
- Request fewer ARCs. Well… I was approved for 8 ARCs this month; at least half were requested in March. I have 3 more pending. However, I’ve tried to only request books I really, really want to read.
- Catch up on some older ARCs and improve my NetGalley review percentage. Because of the new ARCs, my NG percentage dropped to 74%, and I haven’t gotten around to any of the older ones. Hopefully I can knock out a few during the Clean Sweep ARC Challenge this month.
- Build and maintain a 3-week cushion of reviews and other posts. Not so good, though I did get a smidgen further ahead. OTOH, the first two weeks of May are the Blog Ahead Mini-Challenge, so hopefully I can get at least some reviews and posts prepared ahead.
- Cross-post reviews on time. I’ve kept up with this fairly well during April.
- Stay on top of challenges. I’ve kept up with linking to the Cruisin’ Through the Cozies challenge, which is the only applicable one this month.
- Find time and the discipline to write. FAIL.
- Clean and revamp my study. FAIL.
- Exercise more. Well… I’ve started. I haven’t done much, but I’ve been out for a few walks.
- Be more consistently disciplined about my freelance work. *grimaces*
- Make more time and space for the things I love to do: I’m working on two knitting projects — a mindless moss-stitch scarf for TV knitting and conversations, and a more intricate leaf-pattern lace scarf for a challenge. I made time to work on my concert program and publicity before the final crunch week. I’ve been watching Poirot mysteries, and I finished Season 1 of Avatar: The Last Airbender. But I didn’t fit in any writing or photography, and my voice lessons still haven’t started back up.
Robin will be home mid-month. My youth and children’s choruses’ concert is also mid-May. And I’ll be going to my 30th college reunion, where I’ll see some old and dear friends, go to a tree-planting in honor of a friend who passed away, and sing in a pop-up madrigal group. So there’s lots to look forward to!