News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- The 2015 Man Booker Prize goes to Marlon James for A Brief History of Seven Killings. (Man Booker Prize website) You can read an interview with James at The Guardian.
- The National Book Awards shortlists are out. (NPR)
- Appeals Court Affirms Google Book Search is Fair Use (Publishers Weekly)
- Inside the Spaceflight of ‘The Martian’ (TXCHNOLOGIST) Warning – book/movie spoilers, but also a cool discussion of the fiction vs. real science and technology involved.
For Writers & Bloggers
- Balancing Writing and Parenting (Jim C. Hines)
- Authors can now copyright a book on Bowker’s MyIdentifiers.com (GalleyCat)
Book & Movie Announcements
- Scholastic is publishing a gorgeous Harry Potter coloring book, due out in November. (Mugglenet; also Amazon)
Really Cool / Just for Fun
That’s it for this week!