The Sunday Post is hosted by the wonderful Kimba, the Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news, recap the past week, take a look ahead, and showcase our new treasures — I mean books!
I’m still frantically working away at the humongous index due this week. But I’ve managed to squeeze in some reading anyway. (Hey, insomnia has to be good for something, right?)
The cats went to the vet Friday. Thomas’s mouth ulcers are back, and now Tasha has one, too. That sounds like something infectious to me, but the vet says that it’s not uncommon in older animals and the root cause is unknown. Both got steroid shots and came home with instructions for liquid antibiotics twice a day (because regardless of the cause, they’re infected now.) Tasha, our emphatically no-way-am-I-taking-medicine kitty, gouged the heck out of my hand on the first dose. She got a foot out of the towel I had her swaddled in. I guess I need tutoring in cat-wrapping!
Last Week on the Blog
- My Ten Favorite Picture Books – Top Ten Tuesday
- TOUR & GIVEAWAY: Somebody Like You (Donna Alward) – review, excerpt, giveaway
- News & Notes – 2/04/2017
- Sunday Post – 2/05/2017 – this post
Upcoming on the Blog
- Game Reviews: The Lost Ship, The Lost Treasure, and Blackthorn Castle
- News & Notes – 2/11/17
- Sunday Post – 2/12/17
- (remainder of week TBD)
The Backlist Reader Challenge 2017: 5/24
The Backlist Reader Challenge runs all year (and is hosted here on The Bookwyrm’s Hoard.) It’s a chance to focus on those older titles you’ve been wanting to read. You can check out all the rules by clicking on the image above.
I’ve read five books so far this year that qualify for The Backlist Reader Challenge. (They won’t show up in the progress bar until I’ve reviewed them.) That puts me ahead of my goal of 24 books for the year.
- Spin to Knit by Shannon Okey
- The Hexed by Heather Graham (Krewe of Hunters #13; I’m not reading them in order.)
- The Next Always by Nora Roberts (Inn BoonsBoro #1)
- The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts (InnBoonsboro #2)
- The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts (InnBoonsboro #3)
COYER Blackout (2016-17): 7/12
COYER Blackout began December 17 and runs through Mar. 3. It’s hosted by Berls of Fantasy is More Fun, Michelle of Because Reading, and Stormi of Books, Movies, Reviews, Oh My! The rules are strict: only ebooks you owned or had requested prior to Dec. 17, that cost $0.99 or less. My goal is 12 books. Since the challenge started, I’ve read eight books that count toward COYER. (They won’t show up in the progress bar until I’ve reviewed them.) Title links take you to my review; if there’s no link; I haven’t posted it yet.
- A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L’Engle (ARC)
- Sacred Evil by Heather Graham ($0.99)
- A Perilous Undertaking by Deanna Raybourn (ARC)
- Death and the Gravedigger’s Angel by Loretta Ross (ARC)
- Somebody Like You by Donna Alward (ARC)
- Someone to Hold by Mary Balogh (ARC)
- Breathless by Beverly Jenkins (ARC)
- His Cowboy Heart by Jennifer Ryan (ARC)
What I’m Reading/Watching
Reading: I’ve been pretty busy, but did manage to finish His Cowboy Heart (Jennifer Ryan, ARC), Someone to Love (Donna Alward, ARC), and Somebody’s Baby (Donna Alward, ARC.) I’m currently reading The Crooked Sixpence (Jennifer Bell, ARC), a charming MG fantasy. I haven’t had to read any more from Respect the Spindle, but I found a little time to spin. The Elusive Elixir (Gigi Pandian; ARC) is still on the back burner, along with Tempest (Valdemar anthology; ARC), but I do plan to get back to both.
Listening to: Podcasts: Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me.
Watching: I’ve started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender again, and Mr. Bookwyrm and I watched the first episode of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (“A Scandal in Bohemia”), starring Jeremy Brett. And the other night, I watched the last 20 minutes of Star Trek: Into Darkness with Mr. Bookwyrm, because my eyes and brain were just too tired for any more indexing.
New Additions to the Hoard
Cover links take you to Goodreads.
For Review or Review Consideration
Thank you again to St. Martin’s Press!