The Sunday Post is hosted by the wonderful Kimba, the Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news, recap the past week, take a look ahead, and showcase our new treasures – I mean books!
We got back from my college reunion on Monday night, and I’ve been playing catch-up ever since. The reunion weekend was wonderful, and we stayed long enough on Monday morning to hear Jessye Norman’s Commencement address. She was amazing! I went to Oberlin College; the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, which is part of the same institution, is celebrating its 150th year, so it was really appropriate to have a world-renowned singer give the Commencement address. And her speech was terrific! I was saddened to see her in a wheelchair, but she has lost none of her graciousness, wisdom, and dignity. (No, I haven’t met or seen her before, except in recordings, televised concerts, and interviews, but I admire her immensely.)
I hope all my fellow U.S. bloggers are having a good Memorial Day weekend. We’re having friends over tomorrow for a luncheon tea, which basically means we’re cramming lunch and tea into one meal. Should be fun—and delicious! Robin is making scones, there will be strawberries and whipped cream and jam, and probably quiche and a salad.
Last Week on the Blog
- Mon. 5/23: Great World Religions: Judaism — review
- Wed. 5/25: The Madness of Mercury (guest post, review, & giveaway)
- Fri. 5/27: Do You Name Your Devices? — discussion
- Sat. 5/28: News & Notes 5/28/16 — Jo Beverley’s death, Capt. America is HYDRA (WTH?!!), Comixology starts digital comic subscription service, and more fun and interesting links.
- Sun. 5/29: Sunday Post 5/29/16
Upcoming on the Blog
- Mon. 5/30: Anger and Forgiveness–A Son’s Vow (Shelley Shepard Gray)
- Tues. 5/31: Summer Escapes: Vacation Reads for 2016
- Thur. 6/02: Help! My In-Box Is Overflowing! — how to deal with comment notifications
- Fri. 6/03: A Study in Sable (Lackey)
- Sat. 6/04: News & Notes 6/04/16
- Sun. 6/05: Sunday Post 6/05/16
What I’m Reading/Watching
I finished Once a Soldier (Mary Jo Putney; ARC), Knit to Be Tied (Maggie Sefton; ARC) and A Son’s Vow (Shelley Shepard Gray; ARC from AvonAddicts), and started The Invisible Library (Genevieve Cogman; NetGalley ARC). I still need to get back to Wishing Day (Lauren Myracle, ARC); I don’t know why I’m having trouble sticking with it.
In audio, I’m listening to Great World Religions: Islam. Mr. Bookwyrm and I started listening to Bill Bryson’s Made in America on our way to and from the reunion. Now that we’re home, we’ll probably have to listen to it separately in order to finish it.
New Additions to the Hoard
Cover links take you to Goodreads.
For Review or Review Consideration
Thank you to Alibi (Random House)!
Purchased for Kindle
Um…there might have been a Memorial Day weekend sale on Kindle books. And um…I might possibly have gone just a smidgen overboard. But we needed to complete our Percy Jackson collection! And add to my Mary Balogh collection. And one or two (or five or six) other things that looked too good to pass up.
Have a wonderful week, and happy reading!