The Sunday Post is hosted by the wonderful Kimba, the Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news, recap the past week, take a look ahead, and showcase our new treasures—I mean books!
Sorry I wasn’t around for the last few weeks. Last week, I was in Utah with my dad and stepmom (“M”), who was in the hospital and is now in rehab. She developed an serious infection and had to have her artificial knee removed. (The infection wasn’t caused by the original surgery.) Fortuitously, I already had tickets to visit them, so I was able to be there during the early part of her recovery, and help my dad with meals, laundry, and so on. M’s daughter will come up to stay with them when M comes home from the rehab facility. The plan is that in 6–8 weeks or so, M will have another surgery to put in a new knee. She’ll be on antibiotics for a long time to make sure the infection doesn’t recur.
In the weeks before all that happened, I was in New Mexico with Robin, my mom and stepdad, and my sister’s family. And in happier news, Robin just started a new job (the same week I went to Utah); it’s the first full-time job for Robin and we’re all excited about it.
I came home late Saturday and spent Sunday catching up with Mr. Bookwyrm. Three weeks is a long time to spend apart!
Last Three Weeks on the Blog
- Sunday Post –8/19/2018
- WIP Wednesday – 8/22/18
- I’m Back! – Belated Sunday Post – 9/02/2018 – this post, published 9/03
Upcoming on the Blog
- My Favorite Shows to Rewatch – Top Ten Tuesday
- WIP Wednesday – tentative
- Other posts TBD
- News & Notes – 9/08/2018 – tentative
- Sunday Post –9/09/2018 – tentative
What I’m Reading/Watching
Reading: I’m currently reading Deadly Dram (Melinda Mullet; ARC) and rereading Exile’s Song (Marion Zimmer Bradley.) I got a lot of reading in while sitting with M in the hospital (while she was resting or sleeping) and on all my various airplane flights. As I often do when things are stressful, I turned to rereading instead of than reading new books. During the last two weeks, I’ve reread all four books in the Donovan quartet by Nora Roberts, followed by her Stars of Mithra trilogy and then the Key trilogy. After that, I switched to Amanda Quick, and read The Paid Companion and The River Knows (first time for each, I think) before rereading the two Ladies of Lantern Street novels.
In ongoing books, I still haven’t finished The Underwater Ballroom (anthology; ARC), and I’m still slowly working my way through Year of Wonder: Classical Music for Every Day (ARC.)
Listening to: The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley. I haven’t had much time to listen to it, with everything that’s been going one. But I’m in the final third of the book now, and eager to find out how it all resolves.
Watching: Before I left New Mexico, Robin and I finished Season 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Since then, I haven’t really had time to watch anything.
New Additions to the Hoard
Cover links take you to Goodreads.
For Review or Review Consideration
Nothing in the past two weeks.
Purchased in Print
Robin and I went to an author event featuring Mary Robinette Kowal and John Scalzi. So yes, this beauty is signed! I can’t wait to read this series.
Purchased for Kindle
All of these were on sale ($5 or less) when I bought them, except Spinning Silver and the two Donovan quartet books. Some are probably still on sale. Links go to Goodreads.
- Spinning Silver (Naomi Novik)
- The Royal Ranger (John Flanagan; Ranger’s Apprentice series)
- Longshot (Dick Francis)
- Cinderella: The Ultimate Collection (fairytale anthology)
- King of Shadows (Susan Cooper)
- Year One (Nora Roberts)
- Turn Coat (Jim Butcher; Dresden Files)
- The Bookshop Book (Jen Campbell)
- Under an English Heaven (Alice K. Boatwright)
- Of Other Worlds (C.S. Lewis)
- Bloodhound and Mastiff (Tamora Pierce; the Legend of Beka Cooper trilogy)
- The Plastic Magician (Charlie N. Holmberg)
- Sugar Pine Trail (RaeAnne Thayne; Haven Point series)
- The Sable Moon (Nancy Springer; Book of Isles series)
- Batman: Nightwalker (Marie Lu) (for Robin)
- All Night Long (Jayne Ann Krentz)
- Pale as Death (Heather Graham; Krewe of Hunters series)
- The Confounding Case of the Carisbrook Emeralds (Stephanie Laurens; the Casebooks of Barnaby Adair)
- A Terrible Beauty (Tasha Alexander; the Lady Emily mysteries)
- Lady Bridget’s Diary (Maya Rodale)
- A Girl Like Her (Talia Hibbert) (free)
- Charmed and Enchanted (Nora Roberts; Donovan quartet) (covers above, under “What I’m Reading”)