I am also linking to Mailbox Monday, the gathering place for readers to share the books that came in their mailbox during the last week, and to Stacking the Shelves, hosted by Marlene at Reading Reality.
Indexing. So. Much. Indexing. Also a little knitting, a little reading, a little TV, and a fair bit of laundry.
- Sunday Post – 8/14/2022
- Arcadia, a play by Tom Stoppard
- Ten Old Books I Love – Top Ten Tuesday
- The Secret of Bow Lane, by Jennifer Ashley – review
- News & Notes – 8/20/2022: Salman Rushdie; DOJ vs. PRH; and more bookish links
- Sunday Post – 8/21/2022 – this post
- Completed Series I Want to Collect – Top Ten Tuesday
- WIP Wednesday – spinning and knitting; tentative
- reviews TBD
- Sunday Post – 8/21/2022
What I’ve Been Reading/Watching
Reading: I finished Mistress of Birds, the newest Albion novel by Celia Lake. I reread Over Sea, Under Stone for the Dark Is Rising series readalong hosted by Annabel at AnnaBookBel; the discussion is on August 24 on her blog. I also reread The River Knows by Amanda Quick and The Blue Castle by L. M. Montgomery. Currently, I am reading A Dreadful Splendor by B. R. Myers (ARC) and rereading With This Ring by Amanda Quick. Tonight I will start buddy-reading Marple: Twelve New Mysteries with Anne at Books of My Heart. We’re going to read one story per day, and discuss them daily.
Read-A-Thin progress (prompts). We’re more than half-way through the month, so here’s how I’m doing on this August challenge. I’ve read 7 books that I feel qualify for the Read-a-thin. (I’m not counting rereads unless they also qualify toward a yearly goal.) I’m making progress on the book prompts, but I need to work on the self-care prompts; I haven’t done any of them yet.
- Brightly Coloured Cover – Magic Lost, Trouble Found
- Read a Book That Was Published in June, July, or August of Any Year – currently reading A Dreadful Splendor
- Read Your Favorite Genre/Trope – The Belle of Belgrave Square (historical romance); Touchstones: A Collection (fantasy); Mistress of Birds (fantasy historical romance)
- Read a Book Toward a Yearly Goal – Destination Unknown (for #ReadChristie2022); Over Sea, Under Stone (for the Dark is Rising read-along); 84, Charing Cross Road (for The Backlist Reader Challenge)
Listening to: Threads of Life: A History of the World Through the Eye of a Needle, by Clare Hunter.
Watching: All Creatures Great and Small Season 2, a NOVA episode about eagles, and both episodes of Ireland’s Wild Coast. If you have access to PBS, I highly recommend the latter for the gorgeous cinematography.
Added to the Hoard this week
For Review or Consideration
Purchased (Kindle, print, or audio)
Print: [Gentian Hill; A City of Bells; The Franchise Affair (Folio Society); A Midsummer Night’s Dream (Folio Society); The Enchanted April (Folio Society); Touchstone PB; The Book Lover’s Anthology; Victorian Fairy Tales]
Audiobooks: I’m Possible: A Story of Survival, a Tuba, and the Small Miracle of a Big Dream. This was really Robin’s purchase, for their book club, but since we share an Audible account, I will be able to listen to it, too. And Robin says it’s really good. (Click title for Goodreads page.)