News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- New World Fantasy Award Design Has Been Revealed! (Tor.com) The previous statue depicted H. P. Lovecraft, a problematic choice given his overt racism. The new design features a moon and tree.
- Harlequin Closing Five Lines, Including Kimani Romance. (Book Riot) The closing of Kimani is not good news for diversity in romance. Kimani was Harlequin’s line for African-American and other POC romances.
- Cheap books, high price: Why Amazon’s ‘one click’ sales can cost authors dear (Guardian) and Beware the Changed Amazon Buy Box: When “New” Books Aren’t New (Book Riot) Apparently, third-party sellers can now compete for the “Buy” button on Amazon, which means that if you want to buy from the publisher, you need to check the fine print under that box. This matters if you want to have your purchase count toward the title’s overall sales, which affects whether a series will continue and whether an author can publish future books.
- Dylan Thomas Prize goes to “Australian genius” Fiona McFarlane (Guardian)
- Are things getting worse for women in publishing? (Guardian) Danuta Kean thinks so.
- Bookselling in the 21st Century: When Your Bookstore Is a Photo Op (Literary Hub) Katie Orphan on the problems of having a beautiful bookstore.
- I Have Too Many Books Collecting Dust (Andi Miller, for BookRiot)
For Writers & Bloggers
- Can you read a series in a Month? Sign Up! Challenge starts June 1st. Hosted by Michelle at Because Reading Is Better Than Real Life.
- So you want to be a writer? Essential tips for aspiring novelists (Colum McCann, for The Guardian)
Great Blog Posts
Book & Movie Announcements
- The Star Trek: Discovery full trailer is out! And it looks really good. Plus, there’s a female captain and a female first officer, and they’re both POC. And a more diverse crew generally, as well — including aliens. I think this series is going to be worth subscribing to CBS AllAccess.
That’s it for this week!