The semiannual Friends of the Library book sale was this week, and I actually managed to come home with only about 15 books for me and four for Robin. That’s due to a combination of factors: fewer books over all, fewer of the kind of books I’m looking for, and full shelves at home. Robin says we’ve already found a lot of the books we’re looking for, but I did go in with a long list of books and authors. There were hardly any cozy mysteries, and not a lot of relatively recent fantasy in hardcover or trade. And the romances were about a third of what they would have been four years ago. I think it’s partly that we’ve been in a recession, during which people weren’t buying as many books, and now they’re buying more ebooks. But I found some good titles anyway. And I went back and cashiered for the sale on Saturday. Anything to help the library!
Other than that, there’s not much news. I’ll be pretty busy this week – I have two indexing projects, plus I need to get the publicity materials started for the concert on May 17. I really need to catch up on reviews, somehow, but I don’t think it will be this week!
I’ve been reading some old favorites this week, getting ready for Elizabeth Goudge Week over at The Emerald City Book Reviews (starts ??) She’s one of my favorite authors, and I’m loving the excuse to delve into her books again.
The giveaway for Dawn Eastman’s A Fright to the Death ends tomorrow – don’t miss it!
Last Week on the Blog
- Tues. 4/14/15: Top Ten Inspiring Quotes from Books (Top Ten Tuesday)
- Thur. 4/16/15: Hold Me, by Susan Mallery (review)
- Sat. 4/18/15: News & Notes 4/18/15 – Gunter Grass has died; HC & Amazon’s agreement; the most banned books of 2014; Amazon sues fake review sites; Shakespeare “lost play” identified; 3-page passage cut from A Wrinkle in Time; more on the Hugo controversy; and a slew of fun and interesting lists. Plus LEGO libraries!
Next Week on the Blog
- Tues. 4/21/15: Top Ten All Time Favorite Authors (Top Ten Tuesday)
- Sat. 4/25/15: News & Notes – 4/25/15
- Rest of the week TBD
New Additions to the Hoard
Purchased for Kindle
From the library book sale (just mine, not Robin’s)
Moonheart (Charles deLint)
The Book of Atrix Wolfe (Patricia McKillip)
Trickster’s Choice (Tamora Pierce)
Tales from the Great Turtle (various)
Dragongirl (Todd McCaffrey)
Dragonsblood (Todd McCaffrey)
Dragonheart (Todd McCaffrey)
Unforgiven (Mary Balogh)
M’Lady Witch (Christopher Stasheff)
Uncertain Voyage (Dorothy Gilman)
Hot Ice (Nora Roberts)
Charmed & Enchanted (Nora Roberts)
The False Prince (Jennifer Nielsen)
Shadow and Bone (Leigh Bardugo)
The Moving Toyshop (Edmund Crispin)
Arsenic and Old Books (Miranda James)
Have a great week, everybody, and happy reading!