I finished spinning and plying the Black Welsh Mountain wool. The fleece is a brownish or reddish black, which is the sheep’s natural color. There’s a little white wool mixed in, probably also a natural part of the sheep’s fleece. The yarn came out a bit scratchy, which didn’t surprise me because the wool is described as being durable and best for outerwear. I’m not sure what I will make with the finished yarn. I was thinking about a tea cozy, but there’s still a lanolin/sheepy smell to the wool, and while I rather enjoy the scent, it’s not what I want when I’m having tea.
The blanket for my new baby niece is coming along; I’ve knit about 1/3 of it so far. I’ve been knitting while watching TV; over the last few weeks, it was the Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended editions) and then the Hobbit trilogy (also extended editions.) Last week, I discovered I had made some errors–I left out one of the three holes in several of the eyelet hearts. I had to frog* about 3.5 or 4 inches of it, painstakingly pick up over 150 stitches, and reknit the ripped-out rows (making sure to avoid errors this time!) That was frustrating (there may have been tears and swearing.) But it’s all fixed now.