News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- Amazon announced a $15 minimum wage for all US employees. Wages for UK workers will also increase. (CNN) Also, Wired has some thoughts on why.
- Federal Budget Includes Big Gains for Libraries (American Libraries)
- B&N considering a sale (Publishers Weekly) Haven’t we heard this tune before?
- Register of Copyrights Bill Resurfaces (Publishers Weekly) (Scroll down; the article is halfway down the page.)
- Wizards, Moomins and pirates: the magic and mystery of literary maps (The Guardian)
- How It Feels to Want to Watch Doctor Who Again (Alex Brown, Tor. com)
- Regency rendezvous: inside the world of Jane Austen fandom (The Guardian)
Great Blog Posts
- How not to request reviews and six things you should be doing (Cornerfolds) Tracy talks about what authors get wrong when requesting a review, and how to do it right. This clearly resonated with a lot of blogger—because let’s face it, we’ve all gotten requests that have left us shaking our heads.
- Book Blogger Stats Survey Results: 2018 (Pages Unbound Reviews) The results of this survey really surprised me and made me feel better about my own blog and how it is doing. (About average, if you’re wondering. And I’m happy with that.)
For Writers & Bloggers
- Why Should You Have a Test Blog? (Let’s Call It Your Blogging Laboratory) (Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts)
Free Fiction Online
- “Clasp Hands” by Stephanie Burgis (Daily Science Fiction) A delightful short story about a very young witch and her mother’s coven. Perfect for Halloween reading!
Book & Movie Announcements
- Wheel of Time Picked Up By Amazon, First Season to Focus On Moiraine (Tor.com)
- Netflix has ordered romance series based on Robyn Carr’s ‘Virgin River’, Sherryl Woods’s ‘Sweet Magnolias’ (Variety) I’m particularly excited for the Virgin River series, because I think it has a lot of potential for a good romantic-drama series.
- NPR’s Movie Preview: 15 New Films To Watch — And Watch Out For — This Fall. Plus a long list of other movies, pithily described.
- 26 of the Best Halloween Books For Kids (That Are Only Slightly Scary) (Book Riot)
- Click If You Dare: 100 Favorite Horror Stories (NPR Books)
- Visit 15 of the Oldest Libraries in the World (Book Riot)
Really Cool / Just for Fun
- Found: An Ancient Roman Comic Strip With Speech Bubbles (Atlas Obscura)
- Why Europe’s Oldest Intact Book Was Found in a Saint’s Coffin “The St. Cuthbert Gospel is the earliest surviving intact European book.” (JSTOR Daily)
That’s it for this week!