- The 2014 National Book Awards were won by Brown Girl Dreaming (Jacqueline Woodson), Redeployment (Phil Klay), Age of Ambition: Chasing Fortune, Truth, and Faith in the New China (Evan Osnos), and Faithful and Virtuous Night (Louise Glück). Check out the finalists on the National Book website, and read about the award ceremony on Publishers Weekly. And read about Neil Gaiman and Ursula K. LeGuin’s remarks over at GalleyCat.
- Judge Approves Apple Settlement, But Case Is Far From Over (Andrew Albanese, Publishers Weekly)
- Amazon wins auction for .book domain name (The Bookseller)
- The Rise of the Seven-Figure Advance (Rachel Deahl, Publishers Weekly)
- The Oxford Dictionaries’ Word of the Year is. . . vape (Oxford Dictionaries blog)
Worth Reading. . . and Watching
- Why Tamora Pierce Should Be Hollywood’s Favorite Author Right Now (i09) and the related
Tamora Pierce on the Reason Her Brilliant Books Haven’t Been Brought to the Screen (Yet) (The MarySue)
- “Yesterday, A Barnes and Noble cashier” . A poem on the Alaskan Upperclassmen tumblr, about being an English major and a writer.
Sex[Gender] and Reading: A Look at Who’s Reading Whom (Goodreads) Both Goodreads and I find it amusing that of the 5 books written by “men” that were most read by women, one is The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (aka J. K. Rowling.)
- Neil Gaiman on the First Amendment and censorship:
For Writers & Bloggers
- My Writing Masterpost – a HUGE long list of links to helpful posts for writers (Madison’s Magazine tumblr)
- Fantasy Writing and Roleplay Resources – another useful list of links (roleplaygrrl tumblr)
- 100 Jobs for Fantasy Characters. Jobs for medieval- and Renaissance-type characters, beyond the usual lord/lady, knight, priest, or peasant. (Laura Harris. Fantasy Author)
- The Hero’s (or Heroic) Journey AKA The Monomyth – an infographic plus a lot of explanation. Very helpful for novel writing or literary analysis.
- 26 Of The Greatest Book Dedications You Will Ever Read (Buzzfeed). I particularly love Rick Riordan’s.
Book & Movie Announcements
Disney released a teaser trailer for its live-action Cinderella, due out in 2015. The movie will feature Lily James in the title role, with Helena Bonham Carter as the fairy godmother, Cate Blanchett as the evil stepmother, Richard Madden as Prince Charming, and Derek Jacobi as the King. Kenneth Brannagh directs. (IMDB; video via YouTube)