Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature/meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is Ten Characters I’d Name A Child/Dog/Cat/Car/Etc. After.
I’ve always loved the idea of naming pets (or cars, or computers) after book characters, whether human or animal. In fact, all our computers are currently named after fictional characters, as are two of our four Kindles. Oddly, we didn’t name our current cats after anything at all; they just have normal people-type names.
- Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin, from The Lord of the Rings. (Probably in pairs, as I’ve never had more than two cats at a time.)
- Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes, from Laurie King’s Russell & Holmes mystery series. (Again, for two cats.)
- Dimity, from Nancy Atherton’s Aunt Dimity mystery series.
- Dumbledore, from the Harry Potter series. (For a large grey cat.)
- Minerva or Professor McGonagall, from the Harry Potter series. (For a tabby cat.)
- Fireheart, from the Warriors books by Erin Hunter. (For an orange cat. Robin named a feral kitten Fireheart; he was a sweet kitty and we liked him, but he disappeared.)
- Altra, after the intelligent Firecat in Mercedes Lackey’s Mage Storms trilogy. (Probably for a Siamese or maybe a Maine Coone.)
- Gandalf (for a large grey wolfhound or something like that)
- Sirius (for a big or medium black dog)
- Tudor (for a corgi — not after a character but after the illustrator Tasha Tudor, who drew a lot of corgis)
- MacDuff, after the West Highland terrier in the eponymous picture book series. (For a Westie, obviously!)
ETA: I forgot to mention that we’ve learned the hard way not to name computers after characters who die or have horrible things happen to them. Maybe names really do have power!