Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature/meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is Top Ten Things I Love/Hate About Romance in Books.
Today’s Top Ten Tuesday is all about getting to know each other as bloggers and as people. So here are ten things you probably didn’t know about me:
1. I sing in the shower. And just about anywhere else. Actually, I’ve been singing all my life and studying voice on and off (mostly on) since college. I made my debut at age 4 or 5, singing solo with a college choir in a question-and-answer song for their Christmas concert. I’m a lyric soprano, and I sing classical art songs, Broadway show tunes, and British folk songs, as well as sacred and secular choral music with my church and community choirs.
2. Lark isn’t my real name. It’s a nickname I chose when I started blogging. Now it’s so much a part of me, I would answer to it if someone called me Lark on the street. (I chose the name partly for a character in Mercedes Lackey’s The Lark and the Wren.)
3. I’m disorganized. Or rather, I’m very good at setting up organizational systems, and rubbish at sticking to them, at least when it comes to physical things — which is why my house is usually messy. (I’m pretty good at organizing information, though.)
4. I’ve visited Great Britain six times, starting when I was about 10. And I wish I could go again. Part of me would love to live in an English village, or in Wales or Scotland. It’s the land of my heart in many ways. One of my favorite trips was wandering around the Scottish highlands by myself for over a week when I was about 23: Inverness, Culloden, Skye.
5. I’d rather read than watch TV or a movie. Actually, I’d rather read than do a lot of things. And although I enjoy movies and TV, I find them draining. Books, on the other hand, tend to recharge me.
6. I’m a proud Hufflepuff. (Even if Pottermore did re-sort me into Ravenclaw after their redesign.) I admire what Hufflepuff stands for: fairness, tolerance, and equality. But I’m not a big fan of the house colors, since who wants to look like a bumblebee?
7. I’m a killer Boggle player. In fact, almost no one in my extended family will play against me anymore… even with a handicap of “no three-letter words.”
8. I prefer cats to dogs. Much as I’d like to be a dog person, I’m really more comfortable around cats.
9. Mr. Bookwyrm and I met when we were both managers for Waldenbooks. The company’s slogan that year? “America finds it at Waldenbooks.” Yes, we did!
10. I did a lot of student theater in high school and college — mostly Gilbert and Sullivan. And TBH, I really miss it.