Keeping track of 4 year-long and up to 2 shorter challenges at once wasn’t enough to keep me busy (hah!), so I’ve decided to join the 2014 Witches and Witchcraft Reading Challenge hosted by Melissa’s Eclectic Bookshelf. I enjoy books with witches (Harry Potter, A Discovery of Witches, Madelyn Alt’s mysteries, and so on) and I realized I had already started this challenge without realizing it: I’ve read 3 books already and I’ve got 6 more scheduled to read by the end of November.
A summary of the rules is below. I’ve decided to sign up at the ‘Mother’ level of 11 to 15 witchy books, because otherwise it wouldn’t be a challenge — I should have 8 by the end of the year as it is! I’m also interpreting the definition of “witch and witchcraft” pretty narrowly — elven magic, for instance, doesn’t count. (Nor, alas, does libriomancy.) But elemental magic is close enough, I think.
Here are the books I’ve read or plan to read. Title links take you to my reviews; dates are the date I finished reading the book.
- Elemental Magic: All New Tales of the Elemental Masters (ed. by Mercedes Lackey) – 1/08/14
- Dark Witch (Cousins O’Dwyer #1; Nora Roberts) – 2/08/14
- Shadow Spell (Cousins O’Dwyer #2; Nora Roberts) – 2/08/14
- Be Careful What You Witch For (Family Fortune Mystery #2; Dawn Eastman)
- A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy #1; Deborah Harkness) – plan to re-read
- Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy #2; Deborah Harkness) – plan to re-read
- The Book of Life (All Souls Trilogy #3; Deborah Harkness
- Blood Red (Elemental Masters; Mercedes Lackey)
- Blood Magick (Cousins O’Dwyer #3; Nora Roberts)
Challenge Rules, condensed:
- This challenge will run from Jan 1, 2014 – Dec 31, 2014. Link up a sign-up post, your reviews and a wrap-up post.
- Grab the reading challenge button (code & button below) and post this reading challenge on your blog to track your progress. You do not have to be a book blogger to participate.
- Any full length book that includes a witch as a main character or includes major witchcraft elements counts. They may be fiction or non-fiction.
- Books can be any format (bound, eBook, audio).
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
- You can move up levels, but no moving down.
- Sign-ups will be open until Dec 15, 2014.
You’ll find the complete rules and links on Melissa’s blog; just click the challenge button at the top of this post.
Good luck! I’m signed up for this as well but went for a lower level. If I make that one, I’ll bump it up.
Lark @ The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Cool! I’ll have to poke around your site and see what you’ve already read for the it – maybe I’ll get some ideas for the last 2 books I’ll need!