News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- Little Free Libraries on the Wrong Side of the Law (Los Angeles Times)
- Grove Atlantic and Electric Lit to Launch Literary Hub, a website for publishing and literary news, on April 8. You can sign up at Literary Hub for email updates. A number of publishers are partnering to create content. (GalleyCat; Literary Hub)
- Scribd has added comics to its subscription library, including Marvel and Archie. (Scribd blog)
- How Spelling Keeps Kids From Learning (The Atlantic) A few thoughts on this one: 1) Unspell sounds like a simplified version of the current phonetic alphabet. 2) Is it really helpful to start kids off in one system and switch them to another? 3) If we were to simplify spelling, where does that leave the ability to distinguish between words that sound the same but are spelled differently? (answer: context, I guess, just as we do when the words are spoken.) 4) There’s a lot of potential for confusion and error due to pronunciation differences and regional accents. 5) Do this, and reading old documents becomes even harder and more of a specialist’s job.
- Roald Dahl’s moving 1988 letter in support of vaccination. (Electric Lit) One of Dahl’s daughters died of complications of measles. His letter, written years after her death, has new relevance today.
- Jonathan Franzen Says Young Adult Lit Equals “Moral Simplicity” and It’s a Tired Insult (Caitlin White, Bustle)
- A book cover than can judge you has been invented by Thijs Biersteker. If you look skeptical, the book is locked. Approach it with a neutral face, and it unlocks.
- Severus Snape’s important scenes from the movies, in chronological order (by YouTube user kcawesome13) clarifies Snape’s story and motivations… and intensifies the feels.
For Writers & Bloggers
- Blogger to Author: When is it OKAY for an author to comment? (on Herding Cats & Burning Soup)
Book & Movie Announcements
- Cassandra Clare will work with three other YA novelists on a novella series entitled Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy.
- 16 Perfect Valentine’s Day Gifts for Book Nerds (Buzzfeed) (Bookstore gift cards are always nice, too!)
- 25 Painfully Unrequited Love Stories from Literature (Flavorwire)
- Who To Call When You’re In a Fandom of One (Epic Reads). Be sure to watch the video.
- 20 New Titles For Children’s Books (Based Entirely On Their Covers) (Smosh, from 2013)
- 20 Embarassingly Bad Book Covers for Classic Novels (Flavorwire, from 2013)
Really Cool / Just for Fun
That’s it for this week!