News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
NAME, biographyObituaries and tributes: CNN; The Guardian; NPR; Publisher’s Weekly . Bibliography and Biography: Goodreads; Wikipedia; author’s website
- The 55th annual Nebula Conference has been moved online. It will take place on May 29-31.
- This year’s WorldCon will also be held virtually. CoNZealand was to take place in New Zealand from July 29-August 2. The dates remain unchanged.
- Announcing the 2020 Hugo Award Finalists (Tor.com)
- Agents Weigh Whether to Submit Projects During the Pandemic (Publishers Weekly)
- Publishing’s First Quarter in 2020: A Good Start, Then the Virus (Publishers Weekly)
Worth Reading/Viewing (not all book-related)
- Ann Patchett on running a bookshop in lockdown: ‘We’re a part of our community as never before’ (The Guardian)
- Our Fascination With Canon Is Killing the Way We Value Stories (James Whitbrook, i09)
- What If The Little Mermaid Learned Sign Language? Thoughts on Fairytales and Disability (Margaret Kingsbury, Book Riot)
- It Is Your Destiny: 5 Conversations About Becoming the “Chosen One” (Veronica Roth, author of The Chosen Ones, for Tor.com)
Free Fiction Online
- Little Free Library by Naomi Kritzer (Tor.com) This is a lovely short story about fantasy novels, a Little Free Library, and a mysterious visitor.
More Stay-At-Home Resources
- DC Comics Offers Virtual Backgrounds for Zoom Conferencing (Bleeding Cool)
Cool, Fun, and Awesome
Staying at home is giving people of all ages plenty of time for creativity. One result is lots of music, both solo and virtual ensemble. This talented young woman wrote a clever song with her dad. Also, check out the nonmusical links below.
- Creative Couple Go On Daily Walks Wearing Historical Outfits (Metro.uk)
- Quarantined Couple Builds Art Museum to Entertain Pet Gerbils (Smithsonian Magazine)
- The Queen gave a speech in a green dress, and the photoshoppers went to town (Bored Panda)
- Police in an English town encourage self-isolation using a… Dalek? (see below)
- 8 Sugary Fantasies That Indulge Our Sweet Tooth (Stubby the Rocket, on Tor.com)
Bea's Book Nook
You find the most interesting links. Happy Easter!
Bea’s Book Nook recently posted…Happy Birthday, Easter, and Passover!!!
Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits
Fun links! I’ve thought about The Little Mermaid and sign language before, but it’s always fun too see someone else’s take on it.
Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits recently posted…Small Kindnesses by Danusha Laméris