The Sunday Post is a meme sponsored by the wonderful Kimba, the Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog.
Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers in our lives! I’m thankful today for both of mine, and for my wonderful husband, who’s such a good father to our daughter.
It’s been a busy week but a good one here at The Bookwyrm’s Hoard. I’ve been trying to catch up with reviews — I posted two this week, and I have several finished and scheduled for the next few weeks.
On the non-blogging front, my voice teacher has recovered from a pretty scary health crisis, so I had my first lesson in over two months. I’m so glad she’s better, and also glad to be singing with her again.
Thursday’s heavy storms were pretty exciting. My daughter and I were on the road when my phone alerted us to a tornado warning. We raced to the nearest shelter I could count on — the library headquarters — and took shelter on the basement level with about 40 or 50 other people. Once the warning expired, we emerged to find no evidence of a storm other than wet pavements and some leaves and other minor debris. We were lucky; the storms caused more damage further north of us.
I hope you had a good week and that you weren’t impacted by the eastern storms or the fires out west.
The past week on the blog:
- Mon. 6/10: Review: His Majesty’s Hope, by Susan Elia MacNeal. Third in the Maggie Hope series. They keep getting better!
- Mon. 6/10: Happy Birthday, Maurice Sendak! Complete with wonderful Google doodle.
- Tues. 6/11: Top Ten Tuesday: Summer Reads (Beach Reads)
- Wed. 6/12: In The Dragon’s Eye: Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey. I kicked off my new feature, In the Dragon’s Eye, with an appropriately dragon-themed book. In the Dragon’s Eye will focus on books I want to add to my hoard.
- Fri. 6/14: Early Review: The Taming of Ryder Cavenaugh, by Stephanie Laurens
- Sat. 6/07: News & Notes – 6/15/13: Help needed to preserve priceless manuscripts from Timbuktu; the ebook price-fixing lawsuit, continued; Iain Banks’s death; what high school kids are reading; public libraries; an interview with a cover designer; lots of book lists; links to the SYNC free audiobooks; the trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (squeee!); a font for dyslexics; and more.
The coming week:
- Early Review: The Newcomer (Thunder Point #2), by Robyn Carr
- Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books on my Summer TBR List
- News & Notes – 6/22/13
- other reviews TBD
I’m participating in the year-long NetGalley Challenge sponsored by Red House Books. I forgot to add last month’s titles until it was too late (darn it!), but I’m trying to do better this month. His Majesty’s Hope is the first NetGalley ARC review I’ve posted this month, but it won’t be the last.
New additions to the hoard:
For Review: Nothing this week, which will give me a chance to catch up a smidge. (Except that I have a work project again.)
Edited to add: I forgot to add the free audiobooks I downloaded from SYNC: