Goodreads Reading Challenge
I smashed my Goodreads Reading Challenge goal, reaching 180 books a whole three-and-a-half months early and finishing with a total of 235 books. Granted, I did it by doing a lot of re-reading this year. 115 books (49%) were books I had read before, which means they went faster. (I tend to re-read more when I’m under stress or feeling sad or anxious. It was a rough year, especially in the first 3 or 4 months.) Of the new books I read, two were coloring books I reviewed, and a few were novellas or long short stories. But I really didn’t expect to surpass my goal so dramatically. I guess I’d better set the bar a little higher next year!
Goodreads does a nice “My Year in Books” that shows the covers and some interesting stats, if you’re interested.
The Backlist Reader (TBR) Challenge 2016
Host: The Bookwyrm's Hoard
Progress: 2/25 (8%)
1 January, 2016 — 31 December, 2016
Depending on how you measure it, I did very well or really badly on this challenge. In terms of backlist books actually read, I finished 30 books, including 2 short stories and a novella. (One of the books I counted was a book I’d read decades ago, but not in 15 or 20 years.) However, I only managed to write reviews of 9 of them (see above.) Below are the titles I didn’t review. I hope to get around to reviewing at least a few of them in the next month or two, but don’t hold your breath.
- The Son of Sobek (Rick Riordan; short story)
- The Crown of Ptolemy (Rick Riordan; short story)
- The Silenced (Heather Graham)
- Morrigan’s Cross (Nora Roberts)
- Dance of the Gods (Nora Roberts)
- Valley of Silence (Nora Roberts)
- Heart Search (Robin D. Owens)
- Heart Fate (Robin D. Owens)
- Bridal Jitters (Jayne Castle; novella)
- Hidden Talents (Jayne Ann Krentz)
- Dead Heading (Catherine Aird)
- Hidden Star (Nora Roberts)
- Captive Star (Nora Roberts)
- Secret Star (Nora Roberts)
- Captivated & Entranced (Nora Roberts — 2 books in one volume)
- Charmed & Enchanted (Nora Roberts — 2 books in one volume)
- Key of Light (Nora Roberts)
- Key of Knowledge (Nora Roberts)
- Key of Valor (Nora Roberts)
- Sacred Evil (Heather Graham)
- Shades of Milk and Honey (Mary Robinette Kowal) – review coming in January
Invalid challenge name.
Can we just forget I ever signed up for this one? Pleeease? My performance was way beyond pitiful. I didn’t I read and reviewed a single “older” ARC. I still think it’s a great idea for a challenge, but it just didn’t work for me this year.
Cruisin' Thru the Cozies 2016
Host: Socrates\' Book Reviews
Progress: 3/13 (23%)
1 January, 2016 — 31 December, 2016
- Switcheroo by Aaron Elkins
- The Case of the Missing Morris Dancer by Cathy Ace
- A Clue in the Stew by Connie Archer
I blew this one away! My goal was 13 books; I read and reviewed 21. I’ve been participating in this challenge for at least 4 years now, and it’s always fun. However, Yvonne has changed up the format for next year in a way that doesn’t work as well for me. Since I’m cutting back on challenges anyway (see below), I’ll take a break from this one in 2017.
This year, I’m opening The Backlist Reader Challenge 2017 to anyone who wants to sign up and participate. (Last year it was a personal challenge.) I’m sticking with my goal of 20 for now, but hoping to beat this year’s total — and be a lot better about posting reviews.
I plan to cut back on challenges this year, in part to focus on The Backlist Reader Challenge, and in part to streamline and simplify my reading and blogging life. I will be doing COYER Blackout this winter, but it ends in early March. After that, we’ll see. There are so many fun and interesting challenges, but trying to keep up with them all seems to take a lot of my time and energy that I’d rather save for reading and reviewing!