COYER is now year-round!
That’s right! Michelle and Berls at Because Reading have decided to make the COYER (Clean Out Your E-Reader) Challenge a year-round challenge, with special events throughout the year. They have just rolled out COYER Quarantine Edition, which will run through August 31.
The basic, all-year COYER keeps to the strict COYER rules: You can only read ebooks costing $2 or less, and audiobooks costing $5 or less. (Or the equivalent in your currency, I assume.) And you have to review and link your reviews in the COYER all-year linky, here. You can find all the rules for all-year COYER here.
For the Quarantine Edition (3/25 – 8/31), the rules are:
- Announce your participation! This can be a blog post (or if you don’t have a blog – Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Booklikes, Goodreads, Shelfari, etc.) If you want to list books you would like to read, that’s great, but not necessary. The point is to let everyone know you’re committed to COYER, maybe share some goals, and help spread the word.
- Link up! Link that post (not just your blog homepage) to the linky on the COYER Quarantine Edition announcement post at Because Reading.
- You can read any book, any format, if it meets the following criteria:
- Is part of a readathon we’re doing. We aren’t planning them in advance this time. Follow us in our Facebook group for details as we start new ones.
- Is a buddy read. Read a book with a COYER participant and chat with them about it. Unlimited number of reads with a buddy (no restriction this time), as long as you tell us their rating in your review.
- Is a COYER book club read. Join us in the Facebook group for details. Whatever book we read for book club will count.
- Visit Each Other, Chat, Support Each Other & Have Fun!
I’m joining both the All-Year COYER and COYER Quarantine Edition.
I have no idea what I’ll read for Quarantine Edition; it depends on the readathons and whether I can find someone for a buddy read. Right now (through March 31), the readathon is to “Re-read a book that give you those warm and fuzzies, something to help the anxiety of the crazy world outside. Book can be any format and price. Remember we are all in this together!” So I re-listened to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and I’m rereading Aunt Dimity’s Death by Nancy Atherton, which has been one of my comfort books for many years.
For the All-Year COYER, I’m not setting a specific goal, just counting whatever I read that fits the rules. Since I have more than a few Kindle books bought at bargain prices, and more than a few unread ARCs of both forthcoming and (ahem!) already published books, I don’t think I’ll have a problem coming up with qualifying titles. By not setting a specific goal, I can feel free to read as the mood takes me. Given the stresses and uncertainties of the current time, that’s really important.