No, you didn’t misread that; it says Read-A-THIN, not Read-A-Thon. The Read-A-Thin (or Readathin) takes place four times per year, in February, May, August, and November. Each Readathin is a month-long challenge intended to “thin out” your TBR. You can read physical or ebooks, but the focus is on books you actually have—though you can read books from your TBR list even if you don’t own them. The Readathin is hosted by Donna at momsbookcollection, and you can read the announcement post there. There’s also a Readathin Twitter account.
There are reading prompts and self-care prompts, and a Bingo board. It sounds both fun and helpful in terms of whittling down the TBR pile (virtual as well as physical), so I’m in! There’s also an optional group buddy read, but I won’t be joining that.
Books I might read:
There’s an entire list of reading prompts below (scroll down.) Here are a few of the books I might consider for some of the prompts. All are books I own, or at least have an eARC. I haven’t included all the covers, just a few of the ones I most want to read—not that I’ll get around to all of them in a month!
- Brightly Coloured Cover – The Tea Dragon Festival, The Tea Dragon Tapestry, Murder in Westminster
- Random Number Generate A Book – Silverwolf (#9 of the 16 books remaining on my “22 in 2022” physical TBR shelf, or Emily’s House (#1534 of 1656 books on my Goodreads TBR list)
- Read a Book That Was Published in June, July, or August of Any Year – A Mirror Mended (June 2022); The Drowned Woods, A Dreadful Splendor (both due out in August 2022, and I have ARCs)
- Read a Queer Book – A Mirror Mended, The House in the Cerulean Sea
- Written by an Author of Colour – Murder in Westminster, Spin the Dawn, Song of Blood & Stone
- Read a Book Toward a Yearly Goal – Any of the remaining titles on my 22 in 2022 Challenge – perhaps Death of Riley or The Raven Heir
- Read a Book You Started But Never Finished – The Conductors, Cinders and Sparrows, Dying in the Wool
- Fairytale Retelling (on the bingo board, but not in the prompts list for some reason) – Spinning Silver, The Bear and the Nightingale, Impossible
- Brightly Coloured Cover – Find a cover that has bright colours or a bright colour on it.
- Random Number Generate A Book – Find out how many books are on your TBR and generate the number for the book you will read.
- Read a Book That Was Published in June, July, or August of Any Year – Find a book that is published in June, July or August the year does not matter.
- Read a Queer Book – Read a book with queer rep in it.
- Reminds You of Your Fave Song – Pick your favorite song and find a book that you think would match the tune, lyrics or anything.
- Read Your Favorite Genre/Trope – What is your favorite Genre or Trope? read a book from your list.
- Friend Rec – Ask a friend for a book recommendation.
- Written by an Author of Colour – Book with an author of colour!
- Read a Summer-y Book – Read a book with a summer-y cover, plot or just anything you think could be summer-y to you.
- Buddy Read – Our buddy read this month is Girls of Paper and Fire.
- Read a Book Toward a Yearly Goal – Do you have a certain book you need to finish this year or a goal you need to use a book for.. read it.
- Read a Book You Started But Never Finished – Did you not finish this book yet…. well now is the time for you to finish it.
- Self Care Day – Make a day of relaxing things for you. Bath, t.v. time, reading time, anything you feel would be self care do it.
- Make A Couple Goals – Make some goals for the month to get ahead of things in life.
- 30 min screen break – Easy this would be a perfect time for some reading or cleaning.
- Read for at least 20 mins outside or with the window open (if possible) – Read outside or by a window.
- Start a new habit – Do you have a habit you want to start? Journaling, working out, cooking at home everyday or drink more water?
- Participate in a reading sprint – Reading sprints over on Twitter or Discord.
- Reorganize shelf (online or physical) – This is the time to get those shelves organized.
- Organize something – Do you have a random spot in your home you need to organize? do it.
- Start a new “possible” hobby – Is there a hobby you have had your eye on but just have not started it. Now is the time.
- Set a reading goal – Set a reading goal for the month, how many books or pages would you like to read? or how many prompts you want to do?
- Find a new YouTube/Podcast – Do you want youtube or listen to podcasts, time to find a new person to watch… if you do not, how about watching a t.v. show or finding a new book to read.
- Start a journal – Do you like to journal? time to start? it can be a random how was your day, reading journal, junk journal, anything you set your mind on.