The Make Me Read It Read-A-Thon is hosted by Ely @ Tea and Titles and Val @ The Innocent Smiley and runs July 9-16, 2016
I’m joining the Make Me Read It Read-A-Thon!
Basically, this is a readathon where you, gentle reader, get to choose what I will read.
So how does this work?
Look at the books you own, either physical, e-book or ones you’ve borrowed from the library and pick out a few you really want to read, or feel like you should read. It’s up to you how many you pick, personally I’d pick a few more than you expect to be able to read in a week. Example: if you think you’ll only read two, pick out five books or if you think you can read seven, pick out ten.
Make a list of these books on your blog, or make a video, or a Goodreads shelf or post a picture on Instagram—whatever is easiest for you. Then get friends, other bloggers/booktubers etc. to vote on which books you HAVE to read.
When the read-a-thon comes along, you read the books in the order of most votes. For example, if one book gets 10 votes—you read that first, then the one that got 7 and so on. If there’s a tie, then it’s your preference. The goal is to read as many as possible.
The read-a-thon will take place from the 9th to the 16th of July in your timezone. You can start anytime you want on the 9th, so just fit it around whatever works for you! As for the voting, that’s up to you too! Just remember to link your post/photo/video/tweet in the linky at the end of this post so everyone can vote on it!
Use the hashtag #MakeMeRead on Twitter and Instagram.
I’ve decided to focus on fantasy novels, because I haven’t been reading enough of them recently. Here are the options. All are books I own, either in print or ebook format, but haven’t read yet. (Title links go to Goodreads.)
- The Slow Regard of Silent Things by Patrick Rothfuss (companion story to the Kingkiller Chronicle by an amazing author)
- Unbound by Jim C. Hines (third in the Magic Ex Libris quartet, which I love)
- Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal (a series I’ve been meaning to start for several years now)
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab (Robin really wants me to read this)
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (because I really like Beauty & the Beast and Tamlin retellings, and this is both)
- The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner (because I hear it’s awesome)
So now it’s time to vote!
Check back to see which book I’ll be reading first. And wish me luck!
The votes are in! Here’s what I’ll be reading. I’ll start with the first book, and see how far I get — especially since I have a lot of work to do this week, which I was not expecting when I signed up. Best laid plans, and all that.
- A Darker Shade of Magic
- A Court of Thorns and Roses
- Shades of Milk and Honey
- The Slow Regard of Silent Things
- The Thief