The Bookwyrm’s Hoard is six years old!
Hard as it is for me to believe, I’ve been blogging for six whole years now. I started July 6, 2009, with a post on “Why on Earth Am I Doing This?” The first year or two, I had no idea where I was going or how to do much of anything. All I knew was that I loved books, and wanted to share that love and excitement with other people somehow. Slowly, I began to figure out how to use the Blogger platform, played around with the blog’s design, began to interact with other blogs and bloggers, and discovered Goodreads, NetGalley, and Edelweiss (otherwise known as the candy shops.) And I realized that blogging about books was nearly as much fun as reading them.
Fast-forward six years, and here’s where I am today:
- I’ve made a number of friends in the book blogging community – and I treasure each and every one of you!
- I’ve had the fun of meeting several authors face-to-face, and others via social media or email. I’ve even gotten to interview some of them, thanks to book tours!
- I have as many review books as I can handle (and sometimes more!)
- As of last fall, I’m now on self-hosted WordPress and beginning to learn my way around html.
- The blog has a fun new design incorporating my little bookwyrm/dragon, thanks to Ashley from Noze Graze (theme and conversion to WordPress), Christin Jaynes (artwork), and Michelle at Because Reading (who turned Christin’s drawing into a header.)
- I have a regular Saturday feature (News & Notes) and participate in several weekly memes (Sunday Post, Top Ten Tuesday, and sometimes Tough Travels and Waiting on Wednesday.)
- I’ve discovered social media in a big way; I’m now on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, and Pinterest. (Yes I know there are other social media sites. Hush! I only have so many hours in the day, you know!)
I still have a relatively small number of followers and page views. But fame and popularity weren’t why I started blogging in the first place, and they’re certainly not why I’ve kept going. I worried about the numbers for a little while a few years back, but I’m really comfortable and happy with where the blog is now – enjoying the people who come and not worrying about stats. I get the fun of reading and then writing and talking about the books I’ve read, and the joy of being part of such a terrific community of people who share my passion!
So please help me celebrate with a comment party, complete with door prizes! I’ve got a hardcover copy of a reading journal for book lovers and an $10 Amazon gift certificate, so I’ll be choosing two winners. The Amazon gift certificate is open to anyone who can use Amazon; the reading journal is only open to people with a U.S. mailing address (due to shipping costs.) Just enter the giveaway form below!
And thank you all for making the past six years so much fun!