News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- ‘It Just Felt Very Wrong’: Sherman Alexie’s Accusers Go On The Record (NPR) In a follow-up report, Alexie has declined the Carnegie medal for nonfiction. (NPR) It will not be awarded this year.
- BookExpo Announces Editors’ Buzz Picks (Publishers Weekly)
- Amid Harassment Allegations, [David] Handler Cancels Commencement Speech (Shelf Awareness) Handler is better known by his pen name, Lemony Snicket.
- The 2017 Bram Stoker Award winners were announced at the most recent StokerCon. (Tor.com) The award honors the best in horror and dark fantasy.
- Up in smoke: should an author’s dying wishes be obeyed? (Blake Morrison,
- Your Hour Upon the Stage: Sooner or Later, Shakespeare Will Describe Your Life (Tessa Gratton, author of The Queens of Innis Leer, on Tor.com)
- Why do Writers Keep Multiple Copies of Books Around? (Literary Hub) For “writers” you could probably substitute “readers,” since clearly these writers are both.
- Climbing Mount Tsundoku: On Acquiring More Books Than It’s Possible to Read (James Davis Nicoll, Tor.com) I suspect a lot of us can relate.
- ‘Women are having different fantasies’: romantic fiction in the age of Trump (The Guardian)
- How Could I Forget the Liberating Weirdness of Madeleine L’Engle? (Leah Schnelbach, Tor.com)
- Can Disney’s A Wrinkle in Time Possibly Live Up to the Book? captures much of my own anticipation and worry about the adaptation. (Marie Ness, Tor.com)
- Recommending Books Across Generations (James Wallace Harris, Book Riot)
- Sleeps With Monsters: Where Are the SFF Stories About Pregnancy and Child-rearing? (Liz Bourke, Tor.com)
- Why Reading Multicultural Literature Is Important (Alysia Stevenson, Book Riot)
Upcoming Books, Movies, & TV
- Exclusive: Tahereh Mafi on her next book, ‘A Very Large Expanse of Sea,’ about a Muslim American teen after 9/11 (interview, LA Times)
- Patrick Rothfuss Calls The Kingkiller Chronicle a “Prologue,” Implying More Temerant Novels (Tor.com) Yay… I think. But could he please finish book 3 first? (I know he’s working on it, and I’m being patient. Really.)
- Philip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy coming to TV (Stubby the Rocket, Tor.com) The 8-part miniseries will star Dafne Keen (Logan) as Lyra and feature Lin-Manuel Miranda as cowboy Lee Scoresby. Tom Hooper (The King’s Speech) will direct the series, which is produced by Bad Wolf (the same team behind the adaptation of A Discovery of Witches.)
- 50 Motivating Quotes About Books and Reading (Ebook Friendly)
- All the New Fantasy Books Coming Out in March (Tor.com)
- Six Outstanding Standalone Fantasy Novels (Tor.com)
- All the New Science Fiction Books Coming Out in March (Tor.com)
- A Firefighter’s Guide to Fighting Dragons (Sean Grigsby, Tor.com)