News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- Penguin Random House Gave Away 100K Books in Three Days as part of its #GiveaBook campaign. (GalleyCat)
- The Goodreads Choice Awards were announced.
- The PEN America Literary Awards longlists are out.
- Virginia school district debating ban on Huck Finn and To Kill a Mockingbird after a parent of a multi-racial student complained about racial slurs. (Washington Post)
- Congressional Committee Backs Independent Copyright Office (Publishers Weekly)
- Publishers rush out Trump and Brexit books to traumatized readers (The Guardian)
- Children’s Book Week Will Be Expanded in 2017. (GalleyCat)
- Stephen King attacks Bob Dylan’s Nobel Prize knockers (The Guardian)
- Illinois Librarian Discovers Defaced Islamic Texts (GalleyCat, with link to The New York Times)
- Authors United absorbed by Authors Guild (Publishers Weekly)
- A first edition of Newton’s Principia is up for auction at Christie’s.
- Are small publishers doing all the hard work for the big ones? (Ilana Masad, The Guardian)
- The best SF and Fantasy books of 2016 (Adam Roberts, The Guardian) Much more than a list, this article looks at trends and new authors as well as noteworthy books.
Book & Movie Announcements
- Lin-Manuel Miranda will produce and write music for the Kingkiller Chronicle film & TV adaptations. That means he’ll be working with Patrick Rothfuss, which is a Dream Team pretty much any way you look at it. Two of the most amazing creative folks I know of, both of them huge fans of the other, working together on what has to be one of the best fantasy worlds ever. Pardon me while I stop hyperventilating over here… (The Wrap; also Hollywood Reporter) And here’s my Storify of their Twitter interaction on the day of the announcement.
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will open on Broadway in 2018.
- 2017 Reading Challenges Around the Web (xxertz’ blog)
- 25 Favorite Books of 2016 (Washington Independent Review of Books)
- Buzzfeed’s 24 Best Fiction Books of 2016
- Buzzfeed’s 19 Favorite YA Books of 2016
- Harry Potter Bucket List (PopSugar)
- Amazon’s Bestselling Books of 2016
(Signboard outside Peregrine Books, Prescott AZ)
That’s it for this week!