News & Notes is a Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- Plagiarism rears its ugly head again. And Romancelandia is up in arms. Cristiane Serruya apparently plagiarized from upwards of 35 well- and lesser-known authors. I summarized the #CopyPasteCris story from its start on Monday through Thursday morning, with links. Lots and lots of links.
- The Nebula finalists have been announced (Tor.com), and the slates all look pretty strong. I’m especially delighted to see Mary Robinette Kowal’s The Calculating Stars among the Best Novel finalists, along with Spinning Silver (Naomi Novik), Trail of Lightning (Rebecca Roanhorse), and several other titles that have garnered a lot of attention this year. Also, Black Panther and Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse are both finalists for Dramatic Presentation.
- What do we do when the art we love was created by a monster? (Constance Grady, Vox) In light of revelations about Bill Cosby, Johnny Depp, R. Kelly and a host of other actors, musicians, authors, and artists of various kinds… how do you engage with their works? Should you even try? What if a particular work once meant or still means something to you? Grady talks with several literary critics about “how the idea of separating the art from the artist emerged, how it’s changed over time, and what the alternatives are in 2018.”
- Nora Roberts on #CopyPasteCris and the time she was plagiarized by Janet Dailey.
- A Medievalist’s Guide to Magic and Alchemy in A Discovery of Witches (Sarah Durn, io9) Read this article if you’re into A Discovery of Witches, old manuscripts, alchemy, the history of science and/or magic, or the medieval period. Or, you know, all of the above.
- How To Visit the Library of Congress: Five Answers to FAQs (Book Riot)
Free Fiction Online
- “Articulated Restraint”, a Lady Astronaut short story by Mary Robinette Kowal (Tor.com)
That’s all for this week—I spent all my time following and writing up the plagiarism story!