News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- Man Booker International Prize 2016 Longlist Announced (Man Booker Prize) The longlist contains books from Africa, Asia, South America, and Europe by established and debut writers, including at least one banned book. The prize, when awarded, will be split between the novelist and the translator. The Guardian has more information on the International Prize and the longlist entries.
- Barnes & Noble is shutting down the Nook App Store — and the UK Nook Store. (Laptop Magazine)
- Letter penned by Walt Whitman for dying soldier found by a volunteer among Civil War pension applications in the National Archives. (The Guardian)
- George RR Martin denies being dead after Beatles producer George Martin’s death (The Guardian)
- Finland ranked most literate nation (The Guardian)
- Handwriting Expert Makes New Shakespeare Discoveries (Jennifer Maloney, Wall Street Journal)
- The White House Wants to Use Science Fiction to Settle the Solar System. Well, sort of. (Andrew Liptak, Gizmodo)
- There’s controversy over Rowling’s use of a Navajo tradition in writing about Native American wizards (The Guardian and The Washington Post)
- Men give up on books sooner than women, but overall completion rates are about the same across the genders, according to a recent study by jellybooks. However, men start and finish books which deal with emotion (like romance novels) in noticeably smaller numbers. (Digital Book World)
Book & Movie Announcements
- St. Martin’s Signs Nora Roberts to a 6-book deal. St. Martin’s Press is a subsidiary of Macmillan. Roberts’ books have previously been published by the Penguin Publishing Group.
- Macmillan Adds 6000 New Titles to the Scribd Library (GalleyCat)
- Around the World: Women Writers from Every Continent (Allison Peters, BookRiot)
- 50 of the Best Heroines from Middle-Grade Books (Karina Glaser, BookRiot)
- 11 Ways to Love Goodreads Even More (BookRiot)
- 16 Reasons To Be Proud Of Being A Book Hoarder (Huffington Post)
- 7 Reading Tips for People With ADD/ADHD (Kate Scott, BookRiot)
Really Cool / Just for Fun
- New Snowcapped Mountains and Swirling Vortexes Excavated from Vintage Books by Guy Laramée (Colossal)
That’s it for this week!