News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- Books-a-Million Goes Private (Publishers Weekly)
- Wisconsin School Board Member Tries to Ban Muppets Book (GalleyCat)
- Scribd adds sheet music from publisher Hal Leonard to its ebook subscription service, including music by Adele, Broadway musicals, classical “essentials”, and guitar music. (Scribd blog)
- Penguin Random House Has Changed Its E-Bbook Terms for Libraries (GalleyCat)
- Amazon Releases New Kindle Fire for Readers. The tablet reduces blue light in low-light conditions, making reading easier on the eyes. (GalleyCat, with links to Amazon)
- The big question: Are books getting longer? (The Guardian)
- A Beginner’s Guide to Finding Great Self-Published Books (A.J. O’Connell, for BookRiot)
- A Bookish Version of “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas”. OK, the scansion stumbles here and there, and the rhymes are sometimes contrived, but it’s fun. (Brenna Clarke Gray, for BookRiot)
Book & Movie Announcements
- Dark Horse Comics Announces the First Graphic Novel from Booker Award-Winner Margaret Atwood (Dark Horse Comics)
- Children’s Authors Share Their Favorite Childhood Books (Publishers Weekly)
- Gift Ideas for Romance Readers (Cris Conquers) Although a lot of them would work for readers of other genres, too.
- Bookish Blankets for Winter Reading and Hibernation (BookRiot) Seriously, I want some of these.
- And lots of “best of 2015” lists and posts:
- NPR’s Book Concierge helps you choose which books of 2015 you might enjoy
- The New York Times’ Top Books of 2015
- The Guardian‘s Best fiction of 2015 (more of an article than a list; at the bottom of the post, you’ll find links to best-of-2015 by genre)
- Apple’s Best Books of 2015 (via GalleyCat)
- Barnes & Noble’s Best Books of 2015
That’s it for this week!
Bea @Bea's Book Nook
I love those bookish blankets. I should put those on my Christmas wish list.
Bea @Bea’s Book Nook recently posted…Steph & Liam Review Blue Whale Blues by Peter Carnavas
I should have put them on mine, too!
Katherine @ I Wish I Lived in a Library
I’m not surprised to hear about Books-a-Million. My oldest worked in the original store in Florence, AL for awhile and the owner had come in a few times with questions for the manager about policies and she said he was obviously not happy. The rumor was that he was working on buying out shares. I want bookish blankets! I’m all about hibernation when it starts getting cold and hibernating under a bookish blanket sounds even better.
Katherine @ I Wish I Lived in a Library recently posted…When You Are Engulfed in Flames – Review
I’m quietly yearning after those blankets…
Thank you for sharing the bookish version of Twas the Night Before Christmas!
That’s exciting about Margaret Atwood’s graphic novel. I recently got a copy of The Secret Loves of Geek Girls, in which she’s included a comic.
Thank you for sharing all the links! Have a great week!
Literary Feline recently posted…Bookish Thoughts: Twelve Nights by Sharon Struth
I’m glad you enjoyed the links. And I admire Atwood for exploring/embracing new (to her) forms of writing.