News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- YA Community Joins Forces in Support of Author Beth Revis (Publishers Weekly)
- N.K. Jemisin Named 2019 Indies First Spokesperson by the ABA.
- A Reservation-Only Wizarding Restaurant in the Theme of Harry Potter To Open in Maine (WCYY)
Lea Wait died August 9, 2019, at her home in Maine, surrounded by her daughters. She had been fighting cancer, and made the decision not to continue with yet another round of chemo.
Ms. Wait wrote the Mainely Needlepoint cozy mystery series, one of my favorite contemporary cozy series. She was, by all accounts, a wonderful woman, who shared her love of writing and of history, particularly Maine history, with those around her. A former adoption advocate, she adopted four daughters and raised them as a single mother. There are moving tributes to her on her Facebook page and the as well as the sites below.
Obituaries & tributes: Maine Crime Writers Facebook page; The Wickeds blog (fellow writers)
Bibliography & Biography: website; Goodreads
Bookwyrm’s Hoard Reviews: Twisted Threads, Threads of Evidence, Thread and Gone
- Sally Rooney’s ‘sensuous lips’: why male book critics diminish female writers (The Guardian)
- Social media is helping keep a hilarious and brilliant Scottish language alive. AKA “Scottish Twitter.” (Quartz)
- What’s Silver, Purple, and Very Well-Traveled? Answer: The 6th-century Codex Argenteus, or Silver Bible. (Atlas Obscura)
- Providing Help to Booksellers, When They Need It. BINC, the Book Industry Charitable Foundation, was founded to help a sick colleague; now the organization helps booksellers dealing with hardships from serious illness to natural disasters. (Literary Hub)
That’s it for this week!
Jenea's Book Obsession
Hehe, I love the bookish quote. I take my Kindle everywhere. Especially social/family gathering.
Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits
Ugh, social gatherings can certainly be a place you need an emergency book. (Hence why my Kindle TBR library lives on my phone as well as my Kindle…)
I hadn’t heard of Lea Waits cozy series before, but it sounds really good. I’ll have to look for it next time I’m at the library or book store.
Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits recently posted…Sunshine Blogger Award #2