News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- Print Unit Sales Up 2.9% in Early April (Publishers Weekly)
- As the Pandemic Rages, Reedpop Looks Toward 2021 after canceling BookExpo, BookCon, and Unbound. (Publishers Weekly)
- #AuthorTakeAction, Authors Save Lives (Publishers Weekly)
- What Book Orgs Are Doing to Help the Biz Through Covid-19 (Publishers Weekly)
Worth Reading/Viewing (not all book-related)
- Publishing Needs to Face Its Ableism Problem and allow employees to work remotely after the pandemic is over. (Alaina Leary, Publishers Weekly)
- NIH Begins Study to Quantify Undetected Cases of Coronavirus Infection, and they need healthy volunteers to fill out a survey and donate a microsample of blood (using a home kit they will send you.) If you haven’t had Covid-19, or think you may have had it but recovered and were never tested, you are eligible to participate. The researchers will test blood samples for antibodies to the new coronavirus.
Movies & Shows
Some of these are fundraisers. Please consider donating to keep these arts institutions alive!
- The Shows Must Go On is a YouTube channel airing full-length archive recordings of Broadway shows. They will air one per week, beginning at 7:00 pm BST (British Summer Time) on Fridays. Each show will be available for 48 hours in the US; the UK and other countries may have shorter durations due to rights restrictions. This week’s show was The Phantom of the Opera.
- National Theatre Live is streaming free plays every Thursday on Youtube (Time Out)
- The Metropolitan Opera is hosting an At-Home Gala on Saturday, April 25, at 1:00 pm EDT.
- 90 Classic Looney Tunes Cartoons You Can Watch Right Now (Vulture)
More Stay-At-Home Resources
- Michelle Obama Announces Storytimes with PRH and PBS Kids (Publishers Weekly)
- 12 Museums You Can Now Visit Virtually (Hyperallergic) The article’s real title says 2,500, but they only provide links to 12.
- How to cut men’s hair at home (PopSugar) We’re all going to have to learn new skills, and this is going to be a common one, I suspect.
Cool, Fun, and Awesome
Hamilton presents last weekend’s “The Zoom Where It Happens” from last week’s “Saturday Night on Broadway.”
- Beyond the Shire: 5 High-Fantasy, Immersive Reads for Fans of Tolkien (Get Literary)
- From Stephen King to Anne Lamott: the 10 most inspiring, enjoyable books about how to write (The Guardian)