The Sunday Post is hosted by the wonderful Kimba, the Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news, recap the past week, take a look ahead, and showcase our new treasures—I mean books!
Two Sundays ago, I went to an author event featuring Susanna Kearsley. It was wonderful! She talked for about an hour about her books and her writing process, and then answered questions from the audience for another half-hour. And she took time to talk with everyone who had books to be signed. She very graciously signed not only 4 copies of Bellewether (one for me and three for gifts), she also signed a bunch of her older titles that I bought at the event or brought with me. I don’t have quite all her books signed now, but I’m close.
Last weekend, Mr. Bookwyrm and I celebrated our anniversary. Then I flew out to New Mexico to spend some time with my parents (one set), Robin, and my sister and her family. We’re having a lovely time together. Next week I’ll be headed to Utah to see the other set of parents. Unfortunately, Mr. Bookwyrm didn’t get to come this time; there’s just too much going on at work right now.
Last Two Weeks on the Blog
- Sunday Post –8/05/2018
- Bellewether (Susanna Kearsley)– review
- Rockets’ Dead Glare (Lynn Cahoon) – review
- Top Ten Favorite Book Sites and Book Blogs – Top Ten Tuesday
- The Corpse at the Crystal Palace (Carola Dunn) – review
- News & Notes – 8/18/2018
- Sunday Post –8/19/2018 – this post
Upcoming on the Blog
- WIP Wednesday – tentative
- Other posts TBD
- News & Notes – 8/25/2018 – tentative
- Sunday Post –8/26/2018 – tentative
What I’m Reading/Watching
Reading: It’s been two weeks with a lot of reading time! I finished reading Once a Scoundrel (Mary Jo Putney; ARC, forthcoming) and The Corpse in the Crystal Palace (Carola Dunn; ARC; review here.) Then I read Tortall: A Spy’s Guide (Tamora Pierce) and Pale as Death (Heather Graham), both from the library, so I could return them before leaving town. I reread The Girl Who Knew Too Much and The Other Lady Vanishes (Amanda Quick),so I could write my overdue review for the latter. I also reread The Liar and Whiskey Beach, two of my favorite Nora Roberts romantic suspense novels. Then it was on to The Governess Game (Tessa Dare; ARC), followed by a reread of Once a Rebel (Mary Jo Putney), which I neglected to review last summer. Now I’m reading Deadly Dram (Melinda Mullet; ARC).
In ongoing books, I read a few more short stories from The Underwater Ballroom (anthology; ARC), and I’m still working my way through Year of Wonder: Classical Music for Every Day (ARC.)
Listening to: The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley. The book is great; the narrator is above average.
Watching: Robin and I are trying to finish Season 3 of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Before I left town, Mr. Bookwyrm and I watched some Father Brown episodes from season 6.
New Additions to the Hoard
Cover links take you to Goodreads.
For Review or Review Consideration
Purchased in Print
Bellewether (my review) and about 6 of Susanna Kearsley’s older titles, all of which she signed!
Purchased for Kindle
There are too many to show you all the covers, so I’m just going to list them. All were on sale when I bought them, except the two Nora Roberts books and Shadows Beneath.
- Nimona (Noelle Stevenson)
- Truly Devious: A Mystery (Maureen Johnson)
- Spindle Fire (Lexa Hillyer)
- Kat, Incorrigible and Stolen Magic (Stephanie Burgis)
- Victory (Susan Cooper)
- Archer’s Goon; Cart and Cwidder; Eight Days of Luke; Stopping for a Spell; and Witch’s Business (all by Diana Wynne Jones) – for Robin
- Anything But Sweet (Candis Terry)
- One Dance with a Duke (Tessa Dare)
- When All the Girls Have Gone (Jayne Ann Krentz)
- The River Knows (Amanda Quick)
- A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Dorothy Gilman)
- A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Sherry Thomas)
- The Wild Child (Mary Jo Putney)
- Life in a Medieval Castle (Joseph Gies)
- Captivated and Entranced (Nora Roberts)
- Shadows Beneath (Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, et al.) – for Robin