News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
Carlos Ruiz Zafón, the award-winning and internationally-bestselling Spanish author whose books include The Shadow of the Wind, died on June 19, 2020. He was 55, and had been fighting colon cancer since 2018.
Obituaries and tributes: BBC; CNN; The Guardian; NPR; Shelf Awareness; Publisher’s Weekly . Bibliography and Biography: Goodreads; Wikipedia; author’s website
- Print Sales Enjoy an Unexpected High (Publishers Weekly) “The increase came from a combination of continued strong sales of books on racism and social justice, as well as from Father’s Day books.”
- Bolton Book Ban Blocked but Judge Says Advance Is ‘in Jeopardy’ (Shelf Awareness, based on NYT story)
- Two Carnegie Library Rare Book Thieves Get House Arrest, Probation (Shelf Awareness, based on NYT story) The sentence seems unusually lenient given the magnitude of the theft; the judge cited “concerns about incarcerating nonviolent offenders during the coronavirus pandemic.”
- British book wholesaler Bertram’s shutting down (The Bookseller) The firm is going into administration (bankruptcy), and its assets will be sold off.
- Authors quit JK Rowling agency over transgender rights (The Guardian)
- George R.R. Martin Gives Quick Update on Winds of Winter Progress (Tor.com)
- Patrick Rothfuss Partners With One Shot Podcast For New Kingkiller Chronicles Story (Tor.com)
Worth Reading/Viewing/Checking Out
(not all book-related)
- Reni Eddo-Lodge: ‘The debate on racism is a game to some and I don’t want to play’. The author of Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race talks with The Guardian‘s Nosheen Iqbal.
- Report: 2019 Diversity in Children’s and YA. Book Riot’s Jaime Herndon breaks down the recent report from the Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC). Tl;dr: There has been slight progress, but there’s still a long way to go.
- Parental Fear and Cultural Erasure: The Logic Behind Banning Books (Nancy Snyder, Book Riot) explores the impulses behind calls to ban books in school and public libraries, and argues against book bans.
- How to Start an Online Book Club from the Library (Jessica Pryde, Book Riot)
- Read Highlights From TorCon’s “A Whole Universe in Pages” Worldbuilding Panel
- Searching for Body Positivity in Fantasy (Rosamund Lannin, Tor.com)
- How Bookstores Are Coping: ‘More Deliberate Browsing’; A Store’s First Window Display Ever (Shelf Awareness)
- Why Does Everone Hate Comic Sans? (Yashvi Peeti, Book Riot)
- An Anti-Racist Children’s and YA Reading List (Publishers Weekly)
Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits
Great links this week! That’s good news about the book sales.
I was sad to hear about Zafon’s passing. I haven’t read his books yet, but The Cemetery of Forgotten Books has been on my TBR for ages.
Nicole @ BookWyrmKnits recently posted…Friday Reads: My Ongoing Pride TBR