News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- 2015 Edgar Awards finalists announced (Los Angeles Times)
- National Book Critics Circle Awards finalists announced (National Book Critics Circle blog)
- Many authors earn less than $500 per year, reports The Guardian. Its figures are based on this study from Digital Book World.
- A Little Press on the Prairie Grapples with a Bestseller (Publishers Weekly). An annotated edition of Laura Ingalls Wilder’s autobiobraphy is selling like hotcakes.
- Kobo Feels ‘Singled Out’ in Canadian Investigation (Publishers Weekly)\
- Neil Gaiman and artist Chris Riddell teamed up to create a credo expressing their feelings about the Charlie Hebdo attack. (Neil Gaiman’s Facebook page)
- A Look Ahead to Self-Publishing in 2015 (Publishers Weekly)
- Ditch the Prozac, Take Up Crafting? Evidence is mounting that needlecrafts, especially knitting, offer mental-health benefits. (Yahoo) (OK, I know it isn’t about reading, but it’s interesting… and it’s about one of my other main hobbies.)
- Festivals & Conventions (The Bookwyrm’s Hoard) – a list of book festivals, book fairs, and book-related conventions, with links to their home pages. It’s not comprehensive, but it covers a lot of the larger US and international events. (It’s a new page on my blog!)
- Writers’ Conferences and Book Festivals 2015 focuses mainly on the US and Canada. It’s aimed primarily at writers. (Resources for Writers blog, Joni Redder Editing)
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Conventions lists upcoming SFF conventions (Upcoming Cons)
- 15 words you never knew came from literature (infographic from visual.ly )
- The Accidental Bestseller – the stories behind 11 children’s and YA “sleeper hits” (Publishers Weekly)
Movies & TV
- Sherlock filming Christmas special, and Holmes, Watson and Mary dress like their Victorian counterparts. (Vulture)
Really Cool / Just for Fun
Check out this cute bookmark by Peleg Design!
That’s it for this week!