News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- HarperCollins union held a one-day strike on July 20 to publicize their demands for “higher pay, improved family leave benefits, a greater commitment to diversifying staff, and stronger union protection” at the publishing house. They have been working without a contract since the beginning of this year. (Publishers Weekly) Workers in publishing—particularly junior editorial staff—are widely known to be underpaid, in a city (New York) with an extremely high cost of living. Meanwhile, executives are paid enormous sums.
- DAW Books Sold to Astra Publishing House (Locus Magazine)
- Showdown: DOJ’s Bid to Block PRH Acquisition of S&S Is Heading to Trial (Publishers Weekly)
- A Love Letter to (Perpetually Underfunded, Gloriously Democratic) Public Libraries (Michele Herman, for Literary Hub)
- 14 Ways To Get Out Of A Reading Slump (Washington Post)
Books, Movies, and TV
- We have not one, but two LOTR: The Rings of Power trailers: the main trailer, and another released at San Diego Comic Con. Alas, I have almost entirely forgotten the Silmarillion, so I don’t know how closely they are hewing to the material in it, but the series looks good so far.
- Also, We’re getting a new book by Michelle Obama this fall, entitled The Light We Carry: Overcoming in Uncertain Times. (Literary Hub)