News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff
- Amistad Launches #BlackoutBestsellerList on Social Media (Publishers Weekly)
- NBCC Board, Down to Nine Members, Begins ‘Difficult Internal Work’. Of the National Book Critics Circle’s 24 board members, only 9 remain in the wake of a shakeup involving a statement on racism (source: NBCC), one board member’s problematic email, and the unauthorized release of confidential Board delibarations via social media. (Publishers Weekly)
- Libraries Adapt Quickly to Launch Summer Reading Programs (Publishers Weekly)
- All Signs Point Up for Audiobooks (Publishers Weekly)
Worth Reading/Viewing/Checking Out
(not all book-related)
- In For Our White Friends Desiring to Be Allies, Courtney Ariel talks about six things white people can do (and avoid doing) to be a better ally, starting with “Listen nore, talk less.” (Sojourners)
- Reading Is Only a Step on the Path to Anti-Racism (Nicole A. Cooke, Publishers Weekly) Ms. Cooke also put together the website Anti-Racism Resources for All Ages.
- What Charles and Anti-Charles Reveal About Goodreads Homophobia… and the 5-star rating system. (Danika Ellis, Book Riot)
- A bookshop reopens: ‘Customers are awkwardly dancing around each other’ (Tasmin Roswell, The Guardian)
- Read Me Another, Dad: 12 of the Best Books for Father’s Day (Ashlie Swicker, Book Riot)
- Black-Owned Bookstores In the United States (African American Literature Book Club)
- The great escape: 50 brilliant books to transport you this summer (The Guardian)
- Here Be Dragons: 25 Books Starring Dragon-Loving Mighty Girls (Mighty Girl)
- One Hundred Marvel Comics By Black Creators, For Free (Bleeding Cool) I’m currently reading the Shuri series, about the Black Panther’s genius, kick-ass sister
- 100 absorbing young adult audiobooks (that adults will enjoy, too) (Modern Mrs. Darcy) — apologies if I have posted this one before!
- Middle Grade Magic: Great Books for 7th Graders (Book Riot) Don’t be mislead by the title; some are fantasy and some aren’t, but you’re sure to find something here for that MG reader in your life.
- 8 Asexual Books to Help You Celebrate Pride Month (Book Riot)
- Once Upon a Time There Were 8 LGBTQ+ Fairytales From 2020 (Book Riot)