News & Notes is a weekly Saturday post featuring book- and publishing-related news, links to interesting articles and opinion pieces, and other cool stuff.
- Renowned Author Walter Mosley To Receive The National Book Foundation’s Lifetime Achievement Award (NewsOne)
- Rare Edition of Shakespeare’s Last Play Found in Spanish Library (Smithsonian Magazine)
- At This Year’s [Virtual] Frankfurt Book Fair, Uncertainty Was Met with Optimism (Publishers Weekly)
- Print Unit Sales Up 7.9% in Early October (Publishers Weekly)
Worth Reading/Viewing/Checking Out
(not all book-related)
- For the Love of Mail: Letter Writing in a Pandemic: Lauren Markham on the Daily Magic of the US Postal System. (Lit Hub) This inspires me to write some letters of my own.
- Loving Flawed Stories (Shelf Awareness) How some writers both criticize and love stories (and writers) marred by racism.
- The Reason It’s So Hard to Spot Your Own Typos, and what to do about it. (Mental Floss)
- How to cope with the long, cold Covid winter? By enjoying the outdoors and planning ahead. (The Guardian) Though the article doesn’t mention it, I’ll be making sure the pantry is well-stocked and figuring out how to get more music into my life — as well as making sure I have warm clothing for outdoor walks.
- Nature got us through lockdown. Here’s how it can get us through the next one (The Guardian) While the focus in on Britain, the points are applicable everywhere.
For Readers, Writers, & Bloggers
- Basic HTML’s I Like To Use (Angel’s Guilty Pleasures)
- Helen Macdonald: The Things I Tell Myself When I’m Writing About Nature (Lit Hub)
Books, Movies, and TV
- Young adult books round-up – review (The Guardian) looks at six new novels (several of them in verse) for young adults.
Just for Fun
- 12 Mystery Novels Featuring Black, Indigenous, and POC Protagonists (Electric Lit)
- Top 10 underrated Agatha Christie novels, chosen by Sophie Hannah. I’m not sure I agree with her picks — I would definitely include both The Secret of Chimneys and Towards Zero in the list, for starters. But it’s a good list nonetheless.
- 5 More of the Best Self Published Fantasy Writers to Add to Your TBR (Before We Go Blog)
- 20 Must-Read Fantasy Romance Books (Book Riot)
Nicole @ BookWyrm Knits
Hooray for print sales being up! That’s great news!
Nicole @ BookWyrm Knits recently posted…Let America Be America Again by Langston Hughes